Syrupy roasted strawberries, fluffy vanilla whipped cream, and flaky, sweet cornmeal biscuits combine in these roasted strawberry shortcakes, for a twist on the classic Summer dessert.
Thank you for all your sweet comments about our news last week. We are excited and thankful and happy to finally share our joy with you!
I bought a big flat of local strawberries from the market earlier this week, and have happily baked and eaten my way right through it. Now, this could be considered more than one person could or should reasonably consume over that period of time (the hubs is traveling for work this week), but I (and the baby) took it as a delicious challenge.
- 1 lb strawberries, hulled and halved or quartered
- 1 Tbsp pure honey
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup finely-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp coarse sanding sugar
- 1 cup very cold heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp organic cane sugar, or more to taste