Sweet dark cherries combine with crumbly almond shortbread in this cherry almond tart, for a spectacularly simple and crowd-pleasing Summer dessert.
To celebrate the solstice, and kick off the start of Summer, I made you a sweet cherry almond tart, something sweet to eat while you lap up these extra golden hours of daylight. The sun didn’t set until like nine thirty last night (!) – still haven’t gotten used to that.
Not only has this tart become one of my favorite recipes, but it highlights one of our regional, seasonal specialties: sweet cherries.
- 1 cup finely-ground almond flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 10 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 Tbsp whole milk
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 3 Tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds