For the past year I’ve been really enjoying the whole “Put an Egg on It” trend and pizza is no exception! The first pizza we ordered with egg on top was at A16 for our anniversary dinner. To our dismay, we had to send it back because the pizza was undercooked while the egg was sheer perfection. They made it right on the second attempt but there was something burned into my brain that day: Egg on pizza tastes awesome, but cooking egg on pizza is a challenge. At least that’s what I thought.
I checked out a few tasty looking recipes online for Breakfast Pizzas and was confused at the cooking times and how it would fair with my trusted no-knead pizza dough. I also didn’t really know at what point to put the egg on top. So I decided to bite the bullet and put the eggs on after 8 minutes of cooking the crust and it worked! I can’t believe it worked! I totally thought I was going to overcook the eggs.
- homemade or store bought pizza dough (I used half of this recipe)
- 5 pieces cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup aged white cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
- red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- 3-4 eggs (this is up to you!)
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for the baking sheet
- a squeeze lemon juice